© Whitakers Opticians Ltd
Reg Company No: 7712805
Last Updated: 22/10/14
The family firm of Whitakers was established in 1932 by the late Albert Whitaker. Albert’s son Trevor and his partner Stanley Topliss then ran the company until 1993 when Trevor’s nephew and Stanley’s son – Jonathan Whitaker and Jeremy Topliss took over.
Stanley Topliss was well known in optical circles as he was responsible for starting the dispensing course at Bradford College in1963 and also wrote the definitive textbook on dispensing – Optical Dispensing and Workshop Practice. Trevor Whitaker was well known as an examiner for the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians and was president of the Yorkshire Optical Society in 1969.
The Sowerby Bridge practice was Whitakers only practice until Mr Spencer’s long established practice in King Cross was acquired in May 1974 followed by the opening of a new practice in Elland in September 1977. Mackereth Opticians in Halifax centre, previously owned by Alan Mackereth was acquired in 1997 . This practice was established about 1910 and has been on the current site since the 1930’s.
The King Cross practice was closed in August 2008.
In 2011 the business split and became Whitakers Opticians Ltd which consists of the Sowerby Bridge and Elland sites. Whitakers Opticians Ltd is owned by Jonathan Whitaker who is the third generation of the Whitaker family in the business and has been an Optometrist in the business for 30 years.
Whitakers Opticians aim is to provide caring professional eyecare that’s built on years of service.